tradermare

J. Lynn, Jennifer L. Armentrout
Diamonds in the Rough
Portia Da Costa

Walking Disaster: A Novel

Walking Disaster - Jamie McGuire Walking Disaster tells the same story as Beautiful Disaster from Travis’ point of view, with a few additional scenes that give more insight into Travis Maddox.Travis is, of course, still a disaster, and hearing his point of view is sometimes disturbing, especially when it comes to the violence that is so much a part of his life. He’s got tons of problems, some of his own making and some not. Although he seems to be very intelligent when it comes to his coursework, he is also extremely violent, possessive, jealous and a habitual user of alcohol to numb his pain. His narration regarding the women that he “bags” really turned me off.He never even talks or thinks about improving himself, or tries getting out from under the bottle of bourbon he runs to every time there is a problem. He is content to stay where as he is, and that was very frustrating to me. I’ve read quite a few reviews swooning over this guy, but I just don’t see it.Even Abby is still a disaster and I still don’t get her. She’s a card shark who’s former boyfriend was an aspiring Baptist youth minister? I didn’t buy that either. I wondered throughout both books what sort of game she was running.I didn’t believe the epilogue either. It seemed unlikely that he would end up in that profession with his volatile personality. I would have liked to see their journey to that endpoint.There were a few bright spots in this book. I did like Shepley’s character, and saw him as someone who tried to help Travis. He’s the voice of reason in this disaster. He is an enabler as well, between the fighting and the alcohol, but he also tried to talk sense into Travis, and I liked how he looked out for him. Same for Travis' brother, but again, extreme amounts of alcohol were involved. I did also love the cover, and the content of this book certainly generated discussion among my reading friends. I thought the writing average, with too much telling and repetition from the first book. There were definite point of view Issues. Travis seems to know quite a bit about what Abby and others are thinking in situations where he really couldn’t know her inner thoughts. The use of first person point of view made these places very noticiable. My other problem with the writing was that some of the content, for example, descriptions of actions and scenes, was word-for-word the same as Abby’s point of view, and that took me out of the story very quickly. Two people do not describe a scene in the same way. Ranking this the same as the first book in the series. Based on some of the 4 and 5 star reviews, I’m still wondering if I missed something with this series.Thanks to Atria Books and Netgalley for the arc in exchange for an honest review.